Cement as it is or as the base material of concrete roof tiles is one of the most used in the roofing industry and has many advantages and positive features.
Due to the density of the concrete, water is not allowed to penetrate into the pores. The advantage is double:
- It provides resistance to frost-thaw cycles, it does not break nor exfoliate, thus the life span is longer
- Since the concrete has low hygroscopy, the weight of a roof coating made from this material does not vary, this being a good thing for the wood structure.
- Consistency of color and smooth surface
Cement shingles can be colored in the mass. The desired color is obtained with the addition of oxides, which makes it uniform.
A popular myth is that colored cement shingles do not stay smooth and homogeneous as the clay tiles. Contrary to this belief, manufacturers have the technology to make the surface of cement shingles as smooth as it can be, without porosity, by using very clean sand and special surface protection, which also guarantees color uniformity and surface resistance to wear. Roofing contractors Centennial CO pros can give you more information about cement shingles and color surfaces.
- Protection against weather
The surface of the colored cement also benefits from additional protection against moss formation and also against the effects of pollution. Detailed information on available special surface protection can be obtained from professional roofers.
- Dimensional precision
Current production technology ensures precision, the result being a visually perfect roof.
- Weight, high mechanical strength
Cement shingles have very high mechanical resistance; as such, large amounts of snow or ice as well as the circulation on their surface cause no breaks. The weight and structure of this material play an important role in its resistance against storms and the provided insulation. When dimensioning the structure, the cover (cement shingles) represent only a plus of 15-20%, compared to the other loads on the wooden structure.
- Natural components
Cement is produced from natural components. It is a fine powder obtained by grinding clinker, gypsum as well as some admixtures (slag, limestone etc.)
Fiber cement shingles
They are commonly used in renovation of different types of buildings. Durability, quality and aspect are features that provide a special look to the building as a whole, and this roofing material meets the latest safety requirements (no asbestos!). Fiber cement shingles are made of environmentally friendly raw materials in accordance with current standards. They can be used for both roofs and façade finishes.
The base colors are: red, green, brown, anthracite and gray.
Benefits of this roofing material:
- nice aspect due to the variety of shapes and colors
- harmoniously blends modern technology with tradition
- light weight, easy to handle and install
- it does not disturb the transmission or reception of electromagnetic waves
- it is sound proof and does not charge electro-statically
- it is resistant to frost – thaw
- it does not decompose, or release toxic gases
- high flexibility
- high sustainability determined by mineral constituents
There are many types of cement shingles: in classic style, with harmonious shapes, suitable for any type of construction; with a strong, dynamic, Nordic inspirational profile that puts any roof, including small ones, into consideration; in Mediterranean style, original, impacting on space-conscious buildings that can be admired remotely; in rectangular, modern, rigorous dimensions.